Monday, June 26, 2006

Pregnancy and the Baby Room

Hemroids are a real pain in the ass...what is it with all the "extras" you get with pregnancy...is the aching back not enough? Is the rest supposed to feel like a bonus? Okay, it's not that bad right now, but it's getting harder to find a comfortable position to sleep in at night...but I just can't bring myself to buy one of those maternity sleeping pillows...not for 10 more weeks. I mean...what the heck am I going to do with it when I've had the baby? We already have too much junk in this house!

Scott and I finally went out to Lowe's today to get a Belt Sander. Getting this bedroom done is such an ordeal...I mean, every time we think we are about to get somewhere, something happens...like when I tried to order a dresser for the baby room the other day. JC Penney had a clearance section online and I found a cute dresser that would have matched the crib and that I could have used the top for a changing table for $99...originially sold for $500.

Would you believe I got all the way to the checkout, including providing my credit card info, and when I clicked submit order, I got a "The following items will not be delivered" message with my order? Scott suggested I call and order, so I called and the young man on the other end of the telephone told me that they had about 200 of these dressers in stock. I placed the same order, gave him my credit card number, elated that this was going to happen, when he said, "Oh, it says that this item is not available."

What the hell? Can't I get ANYTHING together for this baby room?

I broke down in tears today when we decided we were going to take the kids swimming and then head out to get some baby stuff...including the belt sander. I get to the pool, get the kids out of the van, and THUNDER.

The lifeguards blew their whistles and sent everyone home. We hadn't even made it through the entrance yet. Joshua did so good. He was about to cry, but he didn't (and only by his own will). I was proud of him because I could see how disappointed he was but he chose to have a good attitude about the situation. So Scott agreed to meet me at the house (we drove separate cars) and after I stopped for gas, we'd meet, load up in the van, and go run our errands.

I get to the gas station and it starts to POUR. Fortunately, the gas pumps were covered and I didn't get wet. Unfortunately, the first gas station I went to kept giving me a "Please see Cashier" message when it tried to process my card. Screw that. I'm not getting out in this rain.

So I went to another gas station on the way home and pumped my gas. The coverage wasn't AS good, but at least I didn't get soaked.

By the time I got home though, the roads were flooded. It wasn't pretty. We were under a Flash Flood Warning. Scott and I both knew it wouldn't be wise to drive out in this...if not for the flooding, for the morons who think their cars transform into boats when it rains.

So we went inside and did dinner...and I cried. This just SUCKS. I thought the night was over...as far as getting anything accomplished in that room.

I had a crazy moment and decided to go grab the KILZ and some paint supplies and painted a few green spots on the wall to see if it REALLY needed to be sanded down. Yup...wishful thinking. It definitely needs to be sanded down. GRRRRRRRR.

By the time I got done with that, Dwight reminded us he had his LAST karate class tonight. It stopped raining and it didn't look like we had any storm clouds nearby. The weather channel online didn't predict anything dangerous over the next few hours, so Scott took him to class and when he came home, we made a run for Lowe's. He went in, bought the Belt Sander, and dropped us off at home (had I known he was just going to run in, we would have stayed home, but we hadn't planned it out that far because we were originally going to rent and I was kind of taking over that task, making calls to The Home Depot as he was driving).

Finally, got the damn thing. Now tomorrow I can get to work. (Please God, make it rain like it did today). See...if it rains today, then maybe I can convince my kids that we CAN'T go anywhere and I can actually get some work done. I'm feeling pretty ambitious. If this sander works the way we think it will, I will be done by the end of the day. That's right...I'm working my butt off until I get it done...so I can get it painted and decorated by the end of the week. That's my goal, because I want to stop freaking out about this baby room and enjoy being pregnant!

1 comment:

Jenny said...

**hugs**

Awwwww. I surely don't understand it, but I can give you hugs and say prayers and encouraging words.

I hope you were wearing a mask when you used the belt sander.

;-)