Monday, June 12, 2006

Naming Baby

My 9 year old son seems to think that he should have naming rights to this baby. It's cute, but a bit frustrating (although I don't show the frustration) when he gets his feelings hurt when I tell him that we aren't naming the baby Natalie or Alixandria (after his deceased brother).

He seems to have forgotten, although he's been told before, that Hannah's birth name was actually Alixandria and we changed it. Their biological parents seemed to think it was a fitting name after their deceased son, Nathanuel and Hannah's brother. After prayer and consideration, we opted to changed Hannah's name to Hannah because we were afraid that the news of her adoption plus the origin of her name would be somewhat hard on her, especially after finding out that her brother was beaten to death by his aunt because her parents were too hooked on drugs to take care of and protect their kids.

I suppose she will find out eventually, but we wanted to give her a new name to go with her new life.

Anyway, he seemed to think that this baby should be named after his brother. I explained why I thought it would be good not to do that. Then he suggested Natalie. I told her we probably weren't going to name her Natalie, but when he grows up, gets married, and has a baby, perhaps he and his wife could consider that name. The look on his face was utter disappointment. Today he kept saying, "Can I name the baby _______________." He really really thinks he should get to do this!

I've let him know we are open to suggestions...we'll see what else he comes up with!

1 comment:

Jenny said...

Perhaps have a list of names and let him help narrow down the list?